Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Why can't you be more cynical?

As I went down to local Irma to get today's batch of strawberries (got there late yesterday and there were only Belgian ones left), I couldn't help but notice this sign at the hardware store across the street. I have no clue what it is, but 25% off on the original problem solver seems like a good deal to me.
But right now, I'll settle for taking my problems to you, in this case literary.
As you might know, I'm going to Angola next month and what I need is 1 or 2, maximum 3 (4, if two of them are skinny) books to keep me amused through 17 days (although obviously I'll be doing other stuff as well) and two 12-hour plane trips. I'm a very fast reader so nothing too light, although nothing too heavy either, I have both The Iliad and The Odyssey, neither of which I've actually read through cover to cover, but I just know that I'll get bored with them when I constantly have to look up who's son of who and how you can tell by their patronyms, etc. etc.
I don't have a very girly taste in books, I tried the Bront√ęs, but we never got along and if you go to the other end of the scale, I own Bridget Jones' Diary, but wasn't amused except for the on time where she lists her calorie-intake, weight and number of cigarettes smoked, which in this case was "22, all of them post-coital" (was that in a day? I forget, but if it was, it must either have been rather measly performances or remarkably fast restitution - I've never met a guy who wouldn't need at least a weekend to get through 22 p.c. fags (poor pun intended)).
I read High Fidelity at least once a year, but that one is out of the question as it would only last half a plane trip. I loved On the Road, but never got into Burroughs, I like Camus' fiction, but have been reading The Rebel since 1998 and am still 100 pages short.
I don't seem to be able to become friends with poetry, I didn't think American Psycho was as graphic as the hype made it out to be, I've loved Generation X since I was 13, I've read all the Harry Potter-books and Lord of the Rings (liked HP better) and I think it's sort of depressing that JT LeRoy isn't an actual person.
So, any suggestions?