Friday, February 10, 2006

It's just a lie, you don't travel light

I went to see March of the Penguins yesterday as a friend of mine had free tickets and we thought we might as well. For those of you who haven't heard of it (it might just be me who hadn't till this Monday), it's a documentary about the penguins in Antarctica who come up of the sea, waddle 120 kilometres to get to this one special island where they mate, the mother waddles 120 kilometres back to sea to eat, waddle 120 kilometres back to where daddy penguin has been keeping the egg warm and not eating for 4 months, then they have little baby penguins, daddy penguin waddles 120 kilometres back to sea to eat and the 120 kilometres back again and then the mother can waddle the 120 kilometres once more! All this is accompanied by (in Denmark) Sofie Gråbøl and Søren Sætter-Lassen pretending to be Mr and Mrs Penguin in a very... uhm, I dunno, a very felt way, ie. they talk a lot about death and now we make love (penguins don't make love!) and now we wander and oh, hello, my little Son of Winter.
Contrary to what you might think now, I didn't exactly dislike the movie. Face it, penguins are hilarious; they walk funny, they shoot up the water to belly-flop on land and sometimes they slip on the ice and that's also pretty funny. There's loads of this, 1½ hour in fact and there's also some great cinematography going on, but if it hadn't been for all the pretty pictures, I would have just been waiting for the silent "crrrrrr" of the movie projector in the back of the classroom!

Also, this might be my very blonde side showing, and, yes I realize that I'm nearly 24 and yes, it's probably embarassing, but I just don't get how birds procreate! Birds or any other animal whose offspring come out of eggs, like snakes - especially snakes! I mean, how does it work? Do they just slither up and down one another or what? I just don't get it... the hard eggs, how does the spunk get in there and all? And how do birds get it on? The way the penguins did it, it just looked like standing sort of close and then bopping their heads up and down and it just seems terribly inefficient, you know? I realize that I could just look it up on Wikipedia, but that wouldn't make for a very good post, would it?

Anyway, the Olympics start tonight. Both the Knitting ones and the other ones... you know, the ones with, like, 1,000 fewer contestants (no, really)! I'll cast on when the flame is lit so expect a lot of swearing and talk about alpacas and chocolate. See you there.