Friday, February 24, 2006

Going for gold, part V - gold obtained

Right, it's been a bit messy 'round here the last week, but I managed to finish knitting my shawl on Monday and then it's just been laying around waiting to be blocked. This is what it looked like then:
Big (or actually rather small-ish) ol' crumpled up piece of not-very-nice-ness. That wouldn't do, that wouldn't do at all, also because the Yarn Harlot clearly stated that just as the marathon runner needed to cross the finish line, the shawl had to be blocked.
I don't have a spray bottle, so pin and spritz is not really an option for me. So I threw the thing down a colander (wool is fragile when wet, so it's a good idea with some support for it. Also, I just think that 'colander' is a funny word. Colandercolandercolander. Anyway...) and submerged it. Ah, submerging. The joy. Is there anything quite like holding someon.... I mean, something under water until he's... it's (dammit) ready to do what you want it to do?
More specifically, this is what I wanted my shawl to do. If holding something underwater doesn't do the trick entirely, the next step is to shove him... oh crap... it full of tiny pins so it can't move a muscle or, in this case, pattern repeat. Do it on your bed, you won't be disappointed, I promise.
And then, if you work hard (seriously, shut up, I do work hard sometimes. I do too!), this is what you'll have in the end. That and a totally well-deserved gold medal, seeing as I'm, to the best of my knowledge, the first of the ones who are knitting this shawl to finish (there are 2 or 3 knitting it who aren't blogging and I don't really know how far they've made it). Also, go me for getting Denmark its first gold medal during these Winter Olympics (I told you the curling chicks were crap. Honestly, what do you expect from Danish girls called Denise? How white trash can you get?). Anyway, quick facts:
Pattern: Diamond Fantasy Shawl from Sivia Harding.
Needles: 3.0 mm straights (I'd recommend circulars and the pattern does too, but the ones I had were painstakingly rubbish) and 4.5 mm double pointed needle (for brilliantly conceived i-cord edging)
Yarn: 3 skeins of Alpaca in colour 4400 from Garnstudio.