Saturday, January 21, 2006

Make a cup of tea, put a record on

I wrote a really long post about the upcoming Winter Olympics and about how one of my friwnds said that curling seems like a couple of guys sat down, smoked a lot (a lot!) of pot and thought out this joke-game where, like, dude, these people with, like, brooms and stones - "Heh, stones.... Funny..." - come out and, like, they have to sweep the way for the stones? On ice, yeah? And instead of just forgetting along with the deep and meaningful conversation about having a Snickers in your purse, that joke just went way, way too far?
However, I just thought that all the talk about winter sports was getting in the way of what I really wanted to say.

The Yarn Harlot had an idea a couple of days ago. Seeing as the Winter Olympics are coming up, she thought she'd take the Olympic motto of "Faster, Higher, Stronger" and use it to create a Knitting Olympics. You can see the rules here, but essentially they're just that you have to choose a knitting project that will somehow be a challenge to you and your knitting experience. Then, you have to cast on when the Olympic flame is lit on the 10th of February and finish before the flame goes out on the 26th. If you finish, you get a medal. If you don't, you get shame.
At first, I liked the idea and kinda wanted to join, but it just seemed so... well, geeky. However, when she a day later, after questions about whether or not there would be drug testing, decided to have a drug policy that was simply "you should be careful to make sure you are consuming enough drugs", I decided that this sounded like my kind of game. Also, seeing the list of athletes that is now about five miles long and ever growing, I thought that at least I wasn't the only geek out there. And it could be worse, I could be a Trekkie.
I decided that my project should be Sivia Harding's Diamond Fantasy Shawl (I like this picture better (via January One) and I've bought some super, super soft alpaca in a sort of aubergine-y colour for it.
So. Root for me, send more chocolate and cheer me up when I start telling myself that I'm a big loser who'll never get done on time - I'm the best chance Denmark has of getting a medal during the Olympics (no, the fat curling chicks aren't really that good).

And seeing as the KO will most likely incite a lot of knitting posts, I promise - apart from some pictures of my cardigan which is nearly done now - that I'll keep the yarn talk to a minimum until then.