Saturday, August 27, 2005

If I can't be a star I won't get out of bed

Having been to the Malmö Festival yesterday, I spent most of today in bed, which was quite nice especially because, while I was waiting for my night bus, I had the foresight to buy peanut-M&M's and thus, I could lie around in bed till around 3PM and then eat chocolate for breakfast.
It was also a pretty good trip to Malmö. In general, you have to love Sweden; unlike Denmark, they actually possess the ability to produce good bands, Peking duck is called "Peking anka" which is way funny and the Swedish guys (possibly girls too, if you're into that sort of thing) are just so much better looking than Danish ones.
You also have to love the fact that the Malmö Festival is free, but still manages to pull in rather decent bands. It's a week-long event, but we just went there yesterday to see Håkan Hellström which is always a pleasure. It wasn't the most energetic Håkan-show I've seen, but then again that doesn't really say much as he always runs around on stage like he's being chased by angry villagers.
His trademark is obviously his very off-key way of singing which also gave name to his latest album Et Kolikbarns Bekännelser (that's The Confessions of a Colicky Child to the foreigners who miraculously make it in here), but no-one sings off-key quite like Håkan, it's one of the things that make him so cute (I said cute! Gross...). However, yesterday's gig was a different matter; like I said, Håkan is cute (again!), but never really dirrty. Until last night, that is. He moaned his way through Mitt Gullbergs kaj paradis so we couldn't look at the stage - the friend with whom I was going was blushing wildly and I could just stand there staring at my own feet. Naughty, but nice, indeed.
Later on, there was The Ark, which was O.K. as well. I'm not really a fan, but their hits are catchy and, in general, how can you not love a guy in hotpants and angel wings?
And just before we went home, we saw a bit of The Raveonettes' show. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't anything special either - very much the way it generally is with Sune Wagner these days, sadly. I used to have the biggest crush on him when he was in Psyched Up Janis, but now he's gone a bit chubby and his hair is just getting worse and worse. He's really morphing into Robert Smith which is pretty scary.

Between the Håkan and Ark-shows, we went for dinner at an Italian restaurant, which was really strange. The place was sort of split up in very normal restaurant and then a bar with red, slightly worn-down velvet-sofas, golden bar stools, red wall-lamps and a black grand piano, where a bald Italian in a pinstripe suit stood, singing Rat Pack-songs accompanied by a guy who looked sort of like Billy Ray Cyrus in Mulholland Drive. And people were dancing the way old people who never really learned the steps dance. You know; close, but not indecently so, stepping a bit back and forward while moving slowly around in a circle. It really was a bit like being in a parallel universe - I don't think that I've ever seen that sort of stuff outside mafia-movies!

By the way, at his gig, Håkan Hellström was wearing cherry red, 1o eyelet Dr Martens, which got me thinking: Do you think that Docs are ripe for a comeback?
I've had a pair since I was 12 (not the same pair, obviously), but the ones I have right now, I hardly ever wear. Mostly because I'm not very happy with them; they're not uncomfortable or anything, but I bought them while I was still a vegan, which meant I had a bit of a limited selection a the time. The only Doc-model made in I-don't-wear-leather-leather are the 8 eyelet ones and I always preferred at least 10. Also, the faux-leather isn't as shiny as the real thing.
Anyway, bearing in mind the fabulous weather for this year's Roskilde Festival, it's very likely that it'll rain and rain next year, making Docs the perfect footwear. I'm thinking 14 eyelet cherry reds?