Monday, November 08, 2004

You said I was cheap, you were the sale of the century

Do you ever have those days where you wake up with a tune in your head and it's not in your record-collection so you just have to go out and find it? I had that the other day, when I woke up with the chorus to What Do I Do now? by Sleeper. So I went to library and got the album that it's on, the second one called The It Girl. It's an album that I've borrowed a lot of times since it first came out, but I just never got around to buying it, maybe because, well, it has some nice songs, but as an album, it could be a lot better. However, when I found it at a price of £4 (roughly), how could I say no? The lyrics are brilliant ("Tore up all your photos, didn't feel too clever / spent the whole of Sunday sticking you together" is probably my favourite line right now), something they owe entirely to Louise Wener.
Now, after Sleeper split, she writes novels. She's written two so far, Goodnight Steve McQueen and The Big Blind/The Perfect Play, both of which are rather brilliantly funny. And, in any case, you have to love a girl who writes books about poker.

And speaking of nothing at all; this Friday, I have to go to a party with a theme called Cosmic Love (I know, I think it's shit too). It's a sort of hippy/Valentine's Day-costume party and I don't know what to wear! So far, my best ideas are in the line of wearing a T-shirt quoting Karen from Will & Grace (ie. "Hang on, I know what an emotion is. It's one of those touchy-feely words, like maternity and addiction!") while fondling a dry Martini, but somehow I don't think it'll work outside my head. So, anyway, if you have any ideas as to how you get a loving and/or harmonic look out of a wardrobe consisting (almost) solely out of black clothes and shoes, let me know!

And as for my opinion on the outcome on the American election, check out this guy (via Geekculture). I think this quote sums it up quite nicely:

I concede that I overestimated the intelligence of the American people. Though the people disagree with the President on almost every issue, you saw fit to vote for him. I never saw that coming. That's really special. And I mean "special" in the sense that we use it to describe those kids who ride the short school bus and find ways to injure themselves while eating pudding with rubber spoons. That kind of special.

And, yes, it might be narrowminded and over-simplifying to state this. But that doesn't mean that it´s not funny.