Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Staying in for the summer...

Summer holiday is just around the corner. I’m going to spend mine attending the Roskilde Festival and then probably just working, sadly. However, when you still live from summer to summer, like people who go to school or study usually do, the holiday is also a chance to catch up on pleasure reading, to catch up on all the books you can’t fit in between the school related ones. I’ve been on a gap year the last twelve months so there’s been nothing but pleasure reading for me, but I’m still trying to make a list of books suitable for reading while wearing shades in the garden. So far it’s this:

Agatha Christie: Murder in the Orient Express
Agatha Christie: 4.50 from Paddington
Because summer and light reading go hand in hand, and because these two are the only non-translated Agatha Christie-novels stocked by my local library.

Simone de Beauvoir: The Second Sex
Containing the probably most famous feminist quote ever; “One is not born but becomes a woman.” I read it when I was 17 and didn’t get it, but I should be older and (hopefully) wiser now. I remember being really annoyed by the footnotes in the book, but I’ve been a great admirer of Simone de Beauvoir for a long time so I’m giving it another try after reading Tous les Hommes sont Mortels (All Men Are Mortal). This is actually quite good, too, although full of translation no-no’s in the Danish version. Anyway, The Second Sex is a modern classic and now is as good a time as ever to re-read it (or read for the first time).

Catherine Millet: La Vie sexuelle de Catherine M.
Because I just can’t be arsed to drag out my dictionaries unless there is a promise of sex scenes.

Paul Auster: Oracle Night I bought this when I was still in England and I still haven’t read it, which is pretty feeble.

Iris Murdoch: The Message to the Planet
I've read The Bell and The Sea, The Sea and quite enjoyed them. This is what my library has to offer and I’m giving it a try.

That’s about it for now, really. And you? Do you have any literary plans for the summer or are you spending it watching football?

On the music-related side of my interests, Björk is set to release a new album in August, called Medulla. Here’s hoping that it’s better than Vespertine , which I never really got into, mostly because it was crap.
In Denmark, guitarist Lars Top-Galia has left Sort Sol. Not that anyone cares, the cool guitarist, Peter Peter, left in 1995 and it was pretty much downhill from there. Unspoiled Monsters was an okay-ish record at the time, but Snakecharmer was awful and Steen Jørgensen’s beard and appearance at Rock’n’Royal was just unforgivable. I’ll stick to (my guns) Dagger and Guitar, probably one of the best Danish records ever made.